For a few of us, this pandemic means remote working. Working from home sounds amazing. But, it can be tricky and east to slide into some not healthy patterns.
Here are a few ideas to help keep your sanity during isolation.
1. Stick to your normal routine as much as you can. I know you’re thinking quarantine is like vacation. But no. The reason you work as well as you do is because of the rituals and routines you do. They help you get into the proper mindset to work.
2. Go to bed and wake up at your usual times. Your body is used to it. Don’t throw it off any more than it already is.
3. Hygiene. Hygiene. Hygiene. Take showers. Brush your teeth. It’s too easy to stop taking care of your physical self. After that happens your mental health is not far behind.
4. Eat something. But don’t eat all your quarantine snacks in one day.
5. Talk to adults. This is huge for parents with kids who are not in school right now. Facetime someone. Call someone. Social distancing makes it tough but we can still communicate and keep those connections.
6. Take breaks. Stretch. Get a cup of whatever you drink at work. Wine is not a suitable work day beverage.
7. Turn the news off. Put your phone away. Just like at work.
8. Reduce distractions as much as possible. Give the kids assignments. Then let them know you are not to be disturbed. I have a rule. Are you busted, broken, bruised, bleeding, or burnt? No. You’re fine.
9. Take a breath. Realize you’re not alone in this. There’s a lot of fear and worry going around. We’ll get through this. And I’m proud of you for doing the things.