It’s hot outside! The sun is blazing and the humidity is suffocating. But that doesn’t mean you have to stay indoors all day. There are plenty of ways to beat the heat and enjoy your summer. Here are a few of my favorite tips:
1. Stay hydrated! Drink lots of fluids, especially water. Avoid sugary drinks, alcohol, and caffeine, which can actually dehydrate you.
2. Stay in the shade as much as possible.
3. Wear light clothing that will allow your skin to breathe. Light colors will also reflect the sun’s heat away from your body. If you must wear darker clothes, choose fabrics that are lightweight and loose-fitting. Cotton is always a good choice for summer weather. Linen is also a good fabric for summer, but it can wrinkle easily. You can find linen blends that resist wrinkles, or you can choose a different fabric altogether. If you’ll be outside for an extended period of time, consider wearing a hat or visor to protect your face from the sun. Sunglasses are also a good idea to keep the sun’s rays out of your eyes.
4. Take frequent breaks from the heat. If you’re outside, take a break in the shade or go indoors every so often. If you’re inside, open the windows and doors to let in fresh air.
5. Spend time in a swimming pool or lake. One of the best ways to beat the heat is to take a dip in a pool or lake. If you don’t have access to a body of water, consider setting up a sprinkler or slip ‘n slide in your backyard. Just make sure you supervise children around water to prevent accidents.
6. Eat light, refreshing foods like salads and fruit smoothies. Another great way to beat the heat on a summer day is to eat light, refreshing foods. salads and fruit smoothies are perfect examples of meals that will help you stay cool and hydrated. Not to mention, they’re both incredibly healthy options that are packed with nutrients. So if you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious way to beat the heat, look no further than these two options!
7. Make sure your home is cool and comfortable before spending time inside. If it’s already hot when you arrive home, open all the windows and turn on fans to help circulate the air.
8. Head to the movies. Take advantage of air-conditioned movie theaters to beat the heat. Check out family-friendly flicks that everyone will enjoy.
9. Use fans to circulate air . If you don’t have air conditioning, fans are a great way to circulate air. Place them in strategic positions around your home so that the air is circulated evenly.
10. Plan outdoor activities for cooler parts of the day/ The heat of the day can be unbearable, but you can still enjoy being outdoors if you plan your activities for cooler parts of the day. Get up early and go for a hike or take the kids to the park for a picnic lunch. In the evening, take a walk around the neighborhood or have a backyard campout.
11. Take advantage of air conditioning. If you have air conditioning, take advantage of it! Stay inside during the hottest part of the day and relax in the cool air. If you don’t have air conditioning, try to find places that do, like a friend’s house or the library.
The dog days of summer are here, and that means the heat is on. But don’t sweat it! There are plenty of ways to have fun in the sun and beat the heat. What are your favorite ways to cool off? Share them with me in the comments below. I’d love to hear about them. Stay cool!